Jun 18, 2024  
2024-2025 Catalog 
2024-2025 Catalog

Veterans & Military-Affiliated Educational Benefits

Sinclair can provide you with a copy of the requirements and procedures for an official academic withdrawal from courses or an administrative withdrawal or you can review it online at: https://catalog.sinclair.edu/policies/Academic/Official-Withdrawal-from-College-Policy

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 4-FEDAID (800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at: www.studentaid.gov

All information contained in the Withdrawal and Return of Title IV Funds Policy is subject to change based on changes to federal law, regulation, or Sinclair’s policy and procedure. If changes are made, students must abide by the new policy.

Note: In many instances, the student will owe a balance to Sinclair based on the returns made by Sinclair to the U.S. Department of Education. Please see a Sinclair Financial Aid Officer for additional information.


Military-affiliated Educational Benefits

Sinclair is proud to assist our military affiliated students. Educational benefits for military affiliated students come in several forms: Military Tuition Assistance (TA) programs, Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits (also known as the GI Bill®), Scholarships and Ohio Funding. In general, Military TA programs provide funding to currently serving members of the United States Armed Forces, VA Education Benefits are determined by service information found on the service member’s DD214, and other benefits are determined by military-affiliation.

The best way to get information about using these benefits is to contact the Military Family Education Center (MFEC). You can contact the MFEC by phone at (937) 512-2586, or by email at mfec@sinclair.edu. Students can find updated information and forms to process education benefits at www.sinclair.edu/mfec.

Veteran Educational Benefits

Students who meet the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) eligibility criteria may be certified to use educational benefits.  For information about VA benefits, students can visit the VA directly at www.va.gov. Students will work with the Military Family Education Center (MFEC) at Sinclair to assist in using this funding through the college.

Students that are interested in using their GI Bill® benefits at Sinclair should use the following steps:

1.  Go to www.sinclair.edu/MFEC to find checklists for benefits and other important forms to assist in  attaining education funding from the VA.

a.  If the student does not have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA, they will need to complete the application for the benefits through the VA website.

2.  Students that have the COE approval letter from the VA, will submit a Semester Enrollment Form (SEF) each term after they register for classes.

3.  MFEC will verify the following:

a.  Student is degree seeking

          i.  Students’ degree program has been approved by the VA at https://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do 

b.  All Development and Remedial classes require placement test scores indicating what course the student placed.  Any remedial or 
            developmental courses must be taken in-person to utilize VA funding.

c.  All registered classes are required toward degree program or required prerequisites of the degree program.

4.  GI Bill® Benefits Stipends

a.  VA does not follow the same guidelines for full-time benefits.  Students will need to visit the VA at https://www.va.gov/education/ to learn more.

For questions about using the GI Bill® at Sinclair, please contact:  MFEC, Dayton Campus, 937-512-2586 or mfec@sinclair.edu.

Repayment of Benefits 

Under certain circumstances, repayment of benefits to the VA could occur. Please see the following list of possible repayment situations.

1. Dropping from courses
2. Non-attendance of courses
3. Punitive grades for courses (Z, F, U grades)

To avoid these situations, it is advisable to speak with the MFEC to discuss the potential impacts of not successfully completing courses on your VA education benefits.

Transfer Credit

Students with prior credits who attended previous college(s) or served in the military must request official transcripts. Information about requesting official transcripts and tools to assist in preliminary searchable credit reviews, can be found at www.sinclair.edu/MFEC.

Official transcripts will be evaluated by the Office of Registration & Student Records (RSR).  Once the credits have been officially evaluated, RSR will send the student a letter informing them of the number of credits accepted.  Students can make an appointment with an Academic Advisor to discuss transfer credit by visiting https://www.sinclair.edu/services/welcome-center/academic-advising/.

Military Attendance Policies

Sinclair Community College is dedicated to the success of our military students. To best serve the students who serve our country, Sinclair has several policies to assist.  We recommend that students, staff, and faculty speak with the MFEC to discuss each student situation.

1.  Military Attendance Form- A form to assist in the facilitation of conversation between the student and instructor if a student is deployed or has mandatory training that impacts attendance.  This form can be found at:  www.sinclair.edu/mfec or on Sinclair Forms Central

2.  Military Refund Appeal- A form to complete if a student dropped a class with a ‘W’ grade for military reasons.  This form can be found at:


Other Military Funding

In addition to the GI Bill® there are other funding sources that are available to military-affiliated students.  These benefits are Federal Tuition Assistanbce (FTA), National Guard Scholarship (ONGSP), My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA), and the Ohio War Orphan Scholarship (OWOS).  Detailed information about applying for and utilizing these benefits can be found on the checklists located on www.sinclair.edu/mfec.

Wright Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB)

Sinclair is proud to partner with WPAFB with assisting students achieve their academic goals.  Sinclair is one of the few colleges in the region that offers services and classes on base.  The WPAFB Sinclair office is in Area B, Building 50. For directions, information, and to schedule appointments with Sinclair at WPAFB, please visit www.sinclair.edu/mfec.

Dayton Veteran Lounge

As a thank you for our veteran and service members, we offer a lounge space at the Dayton Campus next to the MFEC office.  The lounge is intended to serve as a resource space for veterans and service members to use, while working toward their educational goals.  For information about how to use the Veteran Lounge, please visit www.sinclair.edu/MFEC.

MFEC Contact Information:

Dayton Campus-Building 10444

Monday-Friday 8 AM EST - 5 PM EST


(937) 512-2586 | MFEC@sinclair.edu

Aviation Students Using the GI Bill®

Best Practices Process: Advising Students in the Aviation Technology/Professional Pilot program that are using the GI Bill®

Students that are in the Aviation Technology/Professional Pilot program and are utilizing GI Bill® benefits should be made aware that the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) does not pay for certificates within the program, they will only pay for a degree. This means you are advised to take general education classes mixed with flight classes showing intent to complete the program.

Courses and Programs of Study

To help students reach their educational goals, those that have earned college credits outside of Sinclair or served in the U.S. Armed Forces, must have official transcripts sent to Sinclair. Transcripts will be evaluated by the office of Registration & Student Records. Once the credits have been evaluated, the school will send the student a letter informing them of the number of credits accepted. This information is essential for students and advisors to create an academic plan that accurately reflects the best path to success.

For assistance with creating an academic plan, students need to meet with an Academic Advisor. A degree plan is required before the MFEC can certify any VA educational benefits.

Sinclair’s developmental (remedial) courses are approved for VA educational benefits if these courses are recommended through placement testing and are taken in-person.

The following is a listing of programs and courses that are not approved for VA educational benefits:

  1. All one-year and short-term technical certificate programs
  2. Courses that cannot be credited toward graduation in an approved associate and/or bachelor’s degree program
  3. Developmental courses taken in an online format (no face-to-face class meetings required)
  4. Real Estate courses for students not enrolled in the Real Estate associate degree program
  5. Professional Pilot courses for students not enrolled in the approved Professional Pilot associate/ bachelor’s degree program(s)

Remember: Assistance may be received in course selection, but final course selection is the student’s responsibility. Students should follow the course outline as contained in the college catalog and communicate regularly with their academic advisor.

Current Military Access Scholarship (CMAS)

Military TA and ONGSP programs do not cover college fees. To minimize out-of-pocket costs, Sinclair has established the Current Military Access Scholarship (CMAS) program that pays up to $250 in non-tuition fees per semester for students using Military TA. Funds are awarded directly to student accounts after TA has been applied. Students do not need to apply for this scholarship.

End of Term Reports

The MFEC is required to track information and progression for each student using the GI Bill® to maintain compliance standards. These reports are submitted within 30 days of the end of the full-term. The following reports are submitted by the MFEC: 

  • Academic Dismissal Report: The MFEC reports students that have previously been on Academic Probation and have been escalated to Academic Dismissal status within the term. This required reporting could cause a debt with the VA and/or drop of future registered classes. 
  • F/Z/U Grade Report: F/Z/U grades that are considered unearned by the VA. Unearned grades are defined as failing grades with a last date of attendance (LDA) before the end of the term. This required reporting could cause a debt with the VA and/or the college. 
  • Graduation Report the MFEC reports students that earn a degree within the term. 

GI Bill® Trademark

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government Web Site at https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/

Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

Each branch of the United States Armed Forces offers Tuition Assistance (TA) programs for their active duty members and its reservists. Programs are administered by the individual service branches, and typically require coordination through the service member’s command structure. Students with questions about using their Military TA at Sinclair can contact the Military Family Education Center (MFEC). You can contact the MFEC by phone at (937) 512-2586, or by email at mfec@sinclair.edu.

To use your TA at Sinclair, students need to provide their Branch’s TA program with an Evaluated Degree Plan. Requirements for degree plans vary by service branch, but in general the plan must be created and signed by a Sinclair Academic Advisor, list all of the courses required for the degree and show all transfer courses that have been accepted by Sinclair and are applicable to course requirements of the student’s program. Students must submit a request to use TA each semester through their Branch’s online education portal.

My Career Advancement Account (MYCAA)

The My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship Program is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 ($2,000 per year) of financial assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification or Associate’s degree in an occupation or career field. For more information about MyCAA and to apply go to https://mycaa.militaryonesource.mil/mycaa. For questions regarding MyCAA, please contact the MFEC at (937) 512-2586 or mfec@sinclair.edu.

Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program (ONGSP)

The ONGSP is provided to Air and Army National Guard members serving in the Ohio National Guard. This is a state benefit that covers tuition only. To apply, please visit ONGSP.Ohio.gov for each term that you would like to use these benefits.

Once these benefits are approved each term, please send the official document to the MFEC at mfec@sinclair.edu. For questions regarding this process, please contact the MFEC at (937) 512-2586 or mfec@sinclair.edu.

Ohio War Orphans Scholarship (OWOS)

The Ohio WOS Program awards tuition assistance to the children of deceased or severely disabled Ohio veterans who served in the armed forces during a period of declared war or conflict. For more information about OWOS and to apply go to https://highered.ohio.gov/wos. For questions regarding OWOS, please contact the MFEC at (937) 512-2586 or mfec@sinclair.edu.

Retention of Records

Sinclair College under the law (38 U.S.C. 3690(c)) provides records and accounts to be made available for review by authorized representatives of the government “NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF LAW.” The effect of this provision is to allow VA to examine necessary records that may be restricted under laws regarding privacy of student records such as PL 93-380 (Buckley Amendment) or other provisions of the law.

Records of an institution are retained through the MFEC for a period of at least three (3) years following the termination of the enrollment of an eligible individual, or longer if requested by VA or GAO (Government Accountability Office). Sinclair College courses are approved for the enrollment of eligible individuals and must maintain a complete record that includes copies of all advertising, sales, or enrollment materials utilized by or on behalf of the institution during the preceding 12-month period.

Transition Act of 2018

Sinclair’s Statement of Compliance for the Veteran Benefit Transition Act of 2018: “In accordance with the Veteran Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Sinclair College has enacted a policy that protects military-affiliated students using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 and Chapter 31 from being penalized for any delay in payment from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) for tuition or fees.”

Military-affiliated students that provide an updated Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Tungsten Authorization, showing eligibility for the current term in question, will not accrue any late penalties, purging of current term classes, restriction of access to any institutional facilities (i.e.; Library, Tutoring & Learning Center), or be required to borrow additional funds to meet the financial obligation while waiting for funding from the VA.

To learn more about the Veteran Benefit Transition Act of 2018, please visit: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2248/text